The Emmanuel College Board of Trustees was created on September 24, 1921 and was composed entirely of members called to a religious life. It was not until October 18, 1967 that Sister Ann Bartholomew, President of Emmanuel College, announced the election of the first two laypersons to serve on the College’s Board of Trustees, Henry M. Leen (trustee 1967-1974) and John E. Sullivan, Jr. (trustee 1967-1972). Mr. Leen was a partner in the law firm of Roche and Leen, counsel for the Archbishop of Boston, Richard Cardinal Cushing, the Sisters of Notre Dame, Boston College and Emmanuel College. Mr. Sullivan was Chairman of the Board for Putnam and Co., as well as, Director for Buzzard Bay Gas Co., Lowell Gas Co., and Greenwich (CT) Gas Co. In making these appointments the College responded to the criticism of the New England Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools that, in the mid-1950s, stated it was concerned with the lack of laypersons on the Board of Trustees.
First Laypersons to Serve in Emmanuel’s Board of Trustees