Join the Library in celebrating Sr. Janet’s 35 years of service to Emmanuel College. View the 1979 Presidential Inauguration Exhibit in person in the Library’s Main Reading Room or online at http://library.emmanuel.edu/ARCHIVE/content/1979-presidential-inauguration-exhibit-sr-janet-eisner-snd
In 1985 Emmanuel College ceased using Alumnae Hall (opened in 1949) as its science center and as a result a new location was needed to house that branch of academic research. To accomplish this Marian Hall, originally opened as a student union/dormitory in 1955, was converted to serve as the College’s new science center that included 30,000 square feet of classrooms, laboratories, greenhouse and an improved dinning facility (opened October 25, 1987). To help offset the loss of space in Marian Hall a student plaza was designed for the Administration Building and included areas for a café and a mailroom. The Student Plaza opened on April 13, 1988 (Emmanuel Quarterly Winter 1987, Spring Summer 1988).
In the Spring of 1983, following in the footsteps of such publications as Logos and Emmanuel Alumnae Magazine, the inaugural issue the Emmanuel Quarterly was released and like the previous two publications it was designed to provide information on campus activities, informational profiles and class notes. Throughout the 1980s the Emmanuel Quarterly covered, not only commencements and class reunions, but also such issues as women in the 1980s (Summer 1983), Emmanuel sponsored Democratic Presidential Primary Forum (Spring 1984), the development of new courses at the College, such as “The City” that was designed to review the social and historical foundations of urban planning and engineering (Winter 1986) and the renovations of Marian Hall and the Administration Building (Winter 1987). By the 1990s, however, the Emmanuel Quarterly had been replaced by such publications as the Emmanuel College Magazine (Spring 1994) and then in 2000 by the Emmanuel Magazine.
Throughout 2013, in order to celebrate the 90th Anniversary of the Class of 1923, there will be alumnae profiles of women who graduated in that year. These profiles are drawn from interviews conducted with the women on the occasion of their 60th class reunion and originally published in the Emmanuel Quarterly in the fall of 1983.
A graduate of Beachmont Elementary (in Revere, Massachusetts) and Notre Dame Academy Ms. Mary Brodbine was a 1923 graduate of Emmanuel College who became a teacher at Chelsea High School and Rindge School teaching a wide variety of subjects that ranged from languages to “Americanization.” While at the Ridge School in Cambridge she also served as the assistant librarian and coordinator and director of night school citizens’ activities. Ms. Brodbine’s also served as the assistant manager of the Brodbine Travel Service and Theatrical Enterprises, eventually aiding in the operation of eight (8) movie theaters. This alumna interests outside of education and the managerial fields included: attending dog shows, gardening and furniture reupholstering. However, her greatest interest was baseball, a love that can be traced back to her uncle, Timothy J. Keefe, a New York Giants pitcher who once received the record for 19 straight wins.
Once this was accomplished students had an increasing desire to play a greater role in College governance, however when Sr. Marie Barry was appointed president without student consultation they protested by wearing arm-bands. Inspired by and participation in the anti-war and feminist movements the students found another way to register their objection over centralized authority at Emmanuel—a candle light vigil and a non-coercive strike of classes (announced on April 14, 1970). Then on April 18, 1970 the Board of Trustees was presented with a “Student Bill of Rights” and agreed, in theory, in the implementation of such a document. However, it requested that a committee of students, faculty and administrators study the document before it approved its implementation; on December 9, 1972, after the committee finished its review of the document, the Board of Trustees formally approved the implementation of the Student Bill of Rights.
Elizabeth Logan was born on February 13, 1889 in South Boston to Lawrence and Katherine (O’Connor) Logan and graduated from the Academy of Notre Dame de Namur in 1907, the same school her mother had attended when she was a child. After graduation Logan spent several years assisting the Tabernacle Society by sewing vestments for missionaries and assisting the Red Cross during the First World War. When Emmanuel College opened in 1919 she enrolled and quickly became a fixture at the College even serving two terms as the President of the Class of 1923, the first to receive degrees from the first Catholic Women’s College in New England.
She returned to Emmanuel and enrolled in the College’s first graduate school (which was closed in 1933) and received a Master of Arts Degree for her studies in English and History; by 1930, at the request of Sr. Katherine Dorothea, she was a faculty member in the English Department. In the Second World War Logan served on the Board of Carney Hospital School of Nursing and treasurer of the 101st Infantry Regiment Auxiliary. She resigned from the Emmanuel College faculty in 1953 and took a position as the College’s executive secretary of alumnae. Elizabeth Logan died on November 3, 1957 at the age of 68.